2009年4月16日星期四

Reading response

The article about computer gaming, sexuality and literacy is an interesting one to read. Especially the concentration on gay gamers and what we should learn from the situation. There are two things that make it difficult for me to understand the notion and ideas of this article. Since I don't play MMORPG or online games a lot, the things mentioned are all new to me. I will never understand why people spent so much time and effort in the virtual world. Some of my former students told me that the game world gave them freedom and joy. The gamers decide what they want to be and what to do. The game world has all they want and can't get in real world. But I still doubt that to what extent this virtual experience is going to have positive effects on the real life. Sometimes even younger players who don't understand the meaning of the words or phrases used in the game, they still learn to play, because most the games follow similar frame lines. I have seen some Chinese boys, who have no English, playing games of English version. They learn from their friends and their knowledge of other games guide them through. The other thing I feel difficult to understand is homosexuality. This is a less mentioned topic in my culture, at least a seldom mentioned topic in my community. Though younger generation accept the idea and there are more homos in China, it is new to most people.

没有评论:

发表评论